Kerala Fish Curry
Every visit to Kerala is incomplete without tripping on this mouth-watering home-made fish curry. Its been a while since my last visit to Mahe and so I decided to cook my way into feeling at home. The recipe is incredibly simple (which I will be posting shortly) and the fish used is Seer fish (English) or Anjal (Karnataka) or (Kerala).
- 250gms of Seer Fish (3-4 slices)
- 1 cup grated Coconut
- 1/4th tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped Ginger
- 2 Green chillies slit
- 1/2 to 3/4th tsp of medium-thick Tamarind paste preferably use Kodampully
- 3-4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 stalk of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- The Seer fish I purchased from the fish mart neat my residence was large in size, hence I cut it into four slices- wash and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, add the grated coconut, the turmeric and the chilli powder and add enough water to ensure it has a paste like consistency.
- In a cooking vessel, add the paste prepared in the last step and add sufficient water.
- To the above add the Green Chillies, Ginger, Tamarind paste, Garlic and the curry leaves.
- When it comes to a boil, first, add salt and then add the pieces of fish and let it cook and until you achieve the desired curry-like consistency.